As a new business, it can be a bit difficult to find your initial audience. Certain digital marketing techniques can help you get noticed, but you should also be able to keep these new customers you acquire.
One of the best ways to do this is with the help of email marketing as it allows you to deliver content directly to your customers. However, you still need to grow your mail list first. Hence, here’s how to get email subscribers as a new business.
#1 Focus on Growing Your Mail List
This sounds obvious, but here’s the thing: once you get the first hundred subscribers, it can be tempting to focus on them and forget trying to get new ones. What you should do instead is focus on growing your mail list first above all else. If you get a bigger audience before you actually start your email marketing with its full force, the subscriber losses you will eventually suffer won’t seem as severe.
Some good tips to keep in mind to get as many subscribers as possible are:
- Create a compelling offer that is irresistible (e.g. exclusive content, free content)
- Make it easy to subscribe to your newsletter (place subscription forms throughout your website)
- Encourage current subscribers to forward your newsletters to get more people to subscribe
- Host contests and giveaways with rules that require participants to subscribe to your email newsletter
- Utilize social media platforms to spread the word about your brand and your newsletter
- Use QR codes to direct people to your subscription landing page
#2 Use Tools to Streamline Processes
Because you are just starting out, getting some additional help will definitely be useful. Luckily, we live in an age when technology makes doing business and marketing much easier. You just need to decide which of the different tools you will be using.
Amanda Greene, an expert from a paper writing service review site, says, “Try to automate as much of your email marketing as possible. You won’t have to spend so much time on your newsletters anymore. In addition to that, definitely use templates, at least when you are just getting started. Templates will make your life easier, and you can customize them to fit your needs and branding. Later on, you can create your own templates if you want to.”
#3 Pay Special Attention to Open Rates
Even if you have a big mail list, you might have very low open rates which pretty much means that your subscribers aren’t seeing your emails. And if they aren’t seeing the emails, what use is your marketing? That’s why you should pay special attention to open rates. Here are some things you should do to ensure that more people open and read your emails:
- Work on your email subject lines to catch attention and make your audience interested in the contents of your emails. You can ask questions, drop interesting insights, and so on. As long as it reflects what you are talking about in the email and it is presented in an intriguing way, it will work well.
- Carefully think about what you want to put in your “from” line. You can use your brand name, the name of your marketer, or a combination of the two. What you choose will depend on the kind of brand image you want to have.
- Segment your audience and send slightly different emails to different segments. Though you are still focusing on getting more subscribers at first, you shouldn’t forget about your current subscribers – and customizing emails is a good technique to use in this case.
#4 Avoid Overwhelming Your Subscribers
One of the reasons why your open rates are low could be that your subscribers are simply too overwhelmed with the number of emails you are sending them. This can become a huge problem which is why you should definitely think about the frequency and timing of your emails before you start executing your campaign.
Chadwick Morley, an expert from an essay writing reviews site, explains, “Once the person has subscribed, send them an email asking what kinds of emails they would like to receive. This will help you with segmentation and will prevent you from overwhelming your audience.”
#5 Learn from Past Mistakes and Improve
Lastly, you should definitely take into account your past mistakes and learn from them. If a particular technique you tried didn’t work, then you probably shouldn’t spend time using it in the future.
Likewise, if you made mistakes with your emails, you need to correct them. Ask for feedback from your subscribers and take their opinions into account as well when planning your future email marketing activities.
At the end of the day, the success of your email marketing strategy will depend on a variety of factors. But if you initially get as many subscribers as possible, it will be easier to proceed with such a head start. Use the tips in this article to help you grow your mail list and start using email marketing to expand your business.