Image by vectorjuice on Freepik
What is a lead magnet and why do you need one?
A lead magnet is an ethical bribe, or an opt-in offer, where you offer a visitor to your website a free resource in exchange for their email address. Lead magnets have to be of high value. A jaunty banner saying, ‘Sign up to our website!’ will not really cut it – but a free eBook, a white paper, webinar, mini course, or template might!
Let’s have a look at how lead magnets work and how to make one work for you!
Benefits of a lead magnet
- First impressions count, and lead magnets can make a great impression if they’re the right one for your client base and gives them something they need or didn’t know they needed! The buzz word here is value.
- Conversion to sales is the bottom line, surely, and lead magnets are highly effective at making this happen. Provide something so great that visitors are enticed to spend with you today and tomorrow.
- Fantastic lead magnets can create trust, something vital in a relationship with a potential lead.
- Growing your email list is the biggie, of course. This can happen exponentially with the right lead magnet.
A good lead magnet will…
- Have immediacy. The content you’re providing for free should be something you can give to your visitor straight away, and something they can use straight away.
- Provide unique value. The lead magnet should be something your web visitor can’t get anywhere else
- Attract your ideal customer. Think carefully about tailoring your lead magnet to the right people, and make sure you know your audience inside-out.
- Be tested! Test, test, test your lead magnets to make sure they are effective. If not, pull them and try again with something else!
Some great lead magnets and why
The motto for brilliant lead magnets is “keep it simple!” They don’t have to be complicated, just effective, quick to get and consume, and of use to your web visitor. You want contact details from your visitors, but you should have already encouraged them to come back on their own because of your excellent lead magnet!
Webinars are of high value as they are a live event, and an experience, which can really hook customers in and hold their attention. They are a great chance to show what you can do, too.
Everyone loves a quiz, right? Highly popular are personality quizzes, as most people love to learn more about themselves and have their ego massaged a little! Make yours fun and you’ll create a lead that has already engaged and had a great time with you!
- Mini course
A mini course or tutorial is a great idea as the content can be released in stages, engaging your lead for longer and fostering a deeper relationship.
A challenge with milestones can be an absolute winner! Lay out steps, give constructive advice, and your lead will stay with you long after the challenge is over!
- Mini eBook
A whole eBook may take a long time to read and put potential leads off, so call your book a ‘guide’ or a ‘tutorial’ and keep things short and easy to digest.
Not many people can resist a coupon when its for something they really want, and they wouldn’t be on your site if they weren’t interested in what you have to offer, so a coupon is a fantastic incentive.
Templates are highly useful time-savers. Simply provide a handy template for people to fill in with their own information and make it hugely relevant to your customer.
- Tailored giveaway
Don’t give away something everyone wants, but something only your ideal customer wants!
It’s simple. Lead magnets add value and generate valuable leads. Offer visitors to your site something they really need or want and in return receive their trust, their interest and, most importantly, their email address! If you employ the tips above, you’ll be well on your way to seeing your business’s email list grow and grow!